DataArts, formerly the Cultural Data Project, was founded to bring the language and leverage of data to the business of culture. DataArts empowers the nonprofit arts and cultural sector with high-quality data and resources in order to strengthen its vitality, performance, and public impact. DataArts’ flagship service is the Cultural Data Profile (CDP), completed annually by thousands of cultural nonprofits, thereby creating a rich national dataset on the finances, programmatic activities, and contributions of the sector for research, advocacy, philanthropic, and public policy purposes. DataArts seeks to be a catalyst for data-informed decision-making.
DataArts became an independent 501(c)(3) organization in 2013, after a decade of operation as a project of The Pew Charitable Trusts. Since that time the organizations has experienced significant growth and change: it is financially sound, has proven its ability to attract, serve, and retain customers, and its business model is continuing to evolve as the organization matures from an early “start up” to a scalable and sustainable national enterprise. We seek an entrepreneurial organization builder to join our team, which is characterized by their drive, passion, creativity, personal accountability, can-do attitude, team-orientation, and loyalty.
The Business Development Associate is part of the Resource Development team and is responsible for helping execute DataArts’ earned revenue generation strategies. The Business Development Associate identifies, cultivates, and solicits a diverse portfolio of prospects and clients, and works to meet client needs by customizing service and support offerings. The Business Development Associate also plays a key role in informing revenue generation strategies by performing analyses of DataArts’ fee-for-service business and philanthropic support; contributing customer insight to guide to the development of DataArts’ services, packaging, pricing, and marketing communications; and leading projects as assigned.
- Build, cultivate, and manage a portfolio of potential and current clients by moving prospects through the sales pipeline to reach annual revenue goals:
- Serve as account manager and primary point of contact for potential new clients and individual client portfolio. Monitor contract fulfillment and client satisfaction; create and update CRM system records.
- Develop and make sales presentations, calls, and informational webinars; provide samples and demos; and conduct repeated, personalized outreach and updates to new business prospects.
- Perform prospect research, initiate contact, cultivate, and solicit potential donors/customers.
- Execute tactical plans for sales and solicitations, capitalizing on various strategic opportunities for DataArts.
- Negotiate pricing, packages, and other contract terms with clients, liaising with multiple other staff members as necessary; execute contracts and trigger delivery/coordination/cessation of services from other departments.
- Inform and support the ongoing development of DataArts’ revenue strategies through Customer Relationship Management (CRM) analysis and strategy development:
- Serve as departmental liaison to the CRM Data Administrator to refine and strengthen information capture for fundraising and business development purposes.
- Lead strategic mining of the CRM database and management of related systems/protocols.
- Critically evaluate and clearly communicate customer and relationship status data through comprehensible management reports and visualizations.
- Monitor and report on business and activity metrics to meet organizational or customer information needs.
- Perform market analyses to inform strategy and tactics.
- Manage targeted sales campaigns.
- Identify customer needs from client requests to inform product and services development, pricing, and marketing approaches. Map customer journeys and touchpoints to maximize sales opportunities.
- Develop efficient sales processes and materials for the broader sales team to utilize.
- Keep up to date on developments in the field and with relevant organizations, as well as internal product, service, and program development.
- Occasional overnight travel
- Assist with other programmatic activities and internal planning/strategy as needed
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience
- Minimum Bachelor degree or equivalent experience
- Successful track record in service sales or new business development for a business-to-business service provider; institutional fundraising experience a plus
- Knowledge of CRM and reporting systems, Salesforce preferred, and commitment to detailed tracking/recording of activities
- Advanced experience level in Excel and Excel formulas
- Ability to build and deepen external relationships
- Ability to work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills
- Experience/knowledge in product positioning, pricing, and/or marketing communications a plus
- Experience in or passion for arts and culture a plus
- Experience in philanthropy, grants management, consulting, or Software as a Service a plus
DataArts is an equal opportunity employer with a policy of inclusiveness and nondiscrimination, and is committed to providing a workplace that is free of discrimination of all types, and that is free from abusive, offensive or harassing behavior. DataArts also maintains a drug-free workplace. ADA/EOE